To offer normative guidance for structuring institutional decision-making, we must understand the relevant characteristics of individual cognition. I have worked on how values, goals, and expectations impact cognitive processes, with particular focus on attention and counterfactual and causal judgments. In addition to continuing that work on value-driven cognition, my current research also examines factors that shape human-AI interaction.
- Homophily and incentive effects in use of algorithms (with Riccardo Fogliato, Shantanu Gupta, Zachary Chase Lipton & David Danks). CogSci 2022
- Affect-biased attention and predictive processing (with Madeleine Ransom, James Kryklywy, Jelena Markovic, Rebecca Todd & Evan Thompson). Forthcoming. Cognition.
- Norms in counterfactual selection. 2020. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research.
- Attention in the predictive mind (with Madeleine Ransom & Chris Mole). 2017. Consciousness and Cognition
- The Kantian brain: brain dynamics from a neurophenomenological perspective (with Evan Thompson). 2015. Current Opinion in Neurobiology